Chicken, Fennel and Walnut Salad
At a time when our digestive systems may need a little love, there are few better than the pseudo spice, fennel. Bursting full of anti oxidants, it also contains lots of fibre, which absorbs toxins lower down in the digestive system. Potassium works to help rebalance water levels, and vitamin C helps protect our immunity.
This light and crunchy salad is substantial enough for a meal, but fresh enough to leave you feeling virtuous and shiny.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Small cooked chicken, poached or roasted
- Bulb of fennel, very finely sliced
- 1 vibrantly flavoured apple (Granny Smith or Pink Lady), very finely sliced
- 50g walnuts
- Two handfuls of salad leaves
- 40ml avocado (or extra virgin olive) oil
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tblspn agave nectar (honey could work too)
- 1 generous tspn Dijon mustard
- Start by toasting the walnuts in a dry pan, over a medium heat. Keep them moving over a medium heat for 5-6. Minutes, talking care not to let them burn. Once they are smelling toasty, set them to one side to cool on some kitchen paper.
- Tear the chicken meat into bite sized pieces.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients to make the dressing, them into a large mixing bowl, toss the dressing through the sliced fennel apple, torn chicken and cooled walnuts. Leave to sit for 5 to ten minutes. Then toss through the salad leaves.
- Serve feeling virtuous and all cleaned up.